insane train

life on the tracks

Friday, January 26, 2007


TRAIN CHANGES

I haven’t been blogging for quite some time, and a lot of things have happened. And it’s amazing how so many things have changed within a short span of time without you noticing how quickly it all occurred.

It’s as basic as alien abduction, only more realistic. It all happened so fast. Hmmm. Lemme gather my thoughts one by one.

The Liquids Ban
This happened maybe around the 3rd Quarter of 2006 – but I’m really not sure of the exact date. It’s is still currently implemented. Basic principle of this order is that liquids are banned inside the trains – bottled beverages, frappe/latte cups, takeout drinks, and the like must be finished before entering the train, or must be surrendered at the bag inspection area.

I really really understand this safety measure. I mean, we’re not really sure if C2 isn't counted as a Nuclear Supercritical Mass, right? Or if the Gatorade of that athletic person in the ticket line is actually a Molotov. Paranoia, paranoia, paranoia. The only message I get out of it is that someone administering/managing/lording over the train has a mantra which follows: we will dehydrate you. Result being inconvenience for the passengers and longer queues at the bag check. WHICH I ABHOR.

Every now and then I sneak a bottle of Nestea or two inside the train, craftily hidden inside my knapsack. I have no evil plans for it, and there’s really no rationale behind it, save for the feeling that every time I successfully slip one in, I feel like I’ve beaten the system. And that, my friends, feels real f*ckin’ good.

MRT Radio
This happened around October 2006, I think. They initially launched with some unknown relaxing jazzy tunes (which I actually liked) then went on the chill out, which therefore gave me the notion that I was listening to some form of Elevator Music derivative (which I really wasn’t so totally against since Elevator Music = zone out… and I do like zoning out…). At that time I felt great neutrality towards it – I mean, I’m there for only a couple of mins a day, it won’t really wreck my nervous system.

Eventually, they got to play more mainstream songs. Now you can chance upon a wide range of artists, which could be anyone from Astrud Gilberto to 50cent. And I confess, I love this variety. It’s a bit gung-ho, and adorably so. The MRT radio seemingly plays everything – I don’t know it they tried to find out what music most train riders would prefer, but then again coming up with musical programming which would fit the train riders’ demographic is practically impractical. As the rusty cliché goes, you can’t please everybody. So let’s get songs from everyone, from Gary V. to David Gray, and hope we hit a good chord.

And even if you didn’t like it, would you really not ride the train because the music sucks? I don’t think so. So we’re kinda stuck with it. My best recommendation for those who hate the MRT Radio is: get a music player, and travel in isolation.

If they have plans of making it better, that’s the extra mile. Me, I’m cool with the tunes. It’s a step up as it is, and deserves kudos.

Other stuff that keeps me entertained about the MRT radio. Hmmm. There’s the public service announcements, which remind you not to hold on the train doors and hold the safety handrails and give your seat to those who need it more, yada yada… Over and over again! It’s such mental conditioning, that I don’t mind it if people absorb it and actually live it. It’s all about train etiquette and safety, those ads, and while at times the repetitiveness of it all gets me irked, it’s still good stuff to follow.

Then there’s the jingle – yes, it has a jingle! It’s about 3secs long and made up of not more than 3 notes, but so catchy! And with vocal blending too!

A curious feature, though, is their e-mail-in greeting system, called MRT Greeting Card. I’ve never tried it, but I have a lot of questions about it, but Ive written a lot already and I'm now already too lazy to ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Q